A New Sewing Room

It’s official, I have too much stuff!  My lovely husband has just spent weeks making me a new desk for my sewing and jewellery making things and it’s already full, with things squashed in underneath as well.

The left hand side of the desk is for jewellery making (but soldering will still be done in the kitchen next to the patio doors and sink, and away from my fabric) and the right hand side is for sewing.  I have recycled lots of old jars for storage in my desk (I knew if I just kept hold of them they would come in handy one day), but wanted something slightly more aesthetically pleasing for the things which I use more often and which would be out on display.  So, after much research as I call it, but others might say an enjoyable morning looking online at other people’s brilliant ideas, this is what I came up with.  I bought lots of cheap matching jars from Asda for buttons, threads, elastic, zips, ribbons and embroidery silks.  I have wrapped the ribbon and elastic around lolly pop sticks and secured with diamante pins and I found this brilliant idea for the embroidery silks.  I have wound them around wooden pegs which conveniently have a built in clamp to secure the ends.  I think they are very effective. While I was on a roll, I decided that the plastic pockets I kept my sewing patterns in weren’t up to the job so I ordered lots of plastic document folders with snap fastenings and spent an afternoon sticking labels on them all with a description and a picture of the garment.

This room has had several previous incarnations.  It had been my oldest daughter’s room for about twelve years and I have used it as my yoga studio for the last three years.  I gradually filled it with my sewing bits and pieces as well and then found myself carrying them up and down the corridor to the kitchen where I normally sew.  So it made sense to put a desk in here instead.  It still has to double as a spare bedroom hence the chaise sofa bed and as it is just inside the front door where everyone can see it, I also tried to make it look like a nice reception room.  But it still ‘my sewing room’.  I’ve re-painted my Gran’s old display cabinet and lined the doors with fabric to hide the contents as it is full to the brim with lovely fabrics and a couple of yoga mats.  I’m not sure what she would have made of that as it was a dark mahogany when I inherited it.   Hopefully, she’d be pleased to see it being used.

I have enjoyed sewing in the kitchen as it’s a warm sunny room with lovely views out across the garden and fields, but it will also be really good to be able to use the table for its intended purpose and to not be squashed up at one end of it at dinner time!

All in all I think it’s turned out OK and should be a good base for my sewing.

Next time I will be sharing my efforts at making my version of Deer and Doe’s Datura pattern.

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*
*
Website