One of my neighbours is expecting a baby soon and I thought that was a good excuse to knit some more booties. I spotted this book while looking for ideas, ‘Knitted Booties for Tiny Feet by Catherine Boquerel.
I just love the designs in this book. The reviews are not good as, apparently, the instructions have a lot of errors (probably due to the translation from French to English) but I found a link for the Knitted Booties Errata so decided it was worth a shot anyway. I particularly like the look of the booties on the front and they’re the ones I want to knit in some baby merino I have had in my stash for some time.
Although the book should only take a few days to arrive (and I still have a lot of WIP’s that really need sorting), once I had thought of knitting baby booties, everything else was discarded (there is a possibility that I am just avoiding finishing the jumper I have started knitting – it is taking forever) and I started looking for a pattern for baby ballet pumps. There are quite a few available but none to my taste. So, I made some up. I really need to work on my maths skills. I was sure they were right. I checked them more than once. Then I tested them. So many mistakes. But now they are correct and the patterns are in my shop.
Both these baby booties patterns are seamless and neither require stitches to be picked up. Where possible, I always avoid seams in knitting, and picking up stitches – which really is not difficult, it’s just the thought of it.
The first pair ‘Haf’ (‘Summer’ in Cornish) is knitted in garter stitch and has a knitted I-cord tie to help it stay on. I was going to put in an optional eyelet row for this in case it was difficult to insert the tie between the stitches, but I had no problems doing that and I felt the tie would stay in much better than if it was threaded through eyelets.
The second pair ‘Kyfvewy’ (‘Party’ in Cornish; they are ever so slightly over-the-top!) is knitted in stockinette stitch, has a diagonal button loop stretching from near the heel, and a flower on the front. Again, other than attaching the button and flower, and weaving in the ends, there is no sewing involved; the whole thing, including the button loop is knitted in one piece. The green and pink ones are quite pretty but not exactly as I had planned (but hopefully my neighbour will like them) , so I have altered the pattern slightly and I am happy with the finished result.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. I only recommend books or products I use personally and believe will be of value to my readers.